Every diet that is based on a balanced diet stresses the virtues and benefits of veggies and fruits. Naturally, these are rich in vitamins and minerals that are needed by the cells of your body to function optimally. And, a couple of other benefits are that they are high in fiber and that they taste good, too.
The common recommendation for adults is a combined total of 5 servings of veggies and fruits every day. That will be easy for some, but for others, not so easy to do. However, if you can primarily fill up on fruits and veggies and enjoy small portions of protein and carbs, it will help you lose weight more quickly.
These foods are very filling and low in calories, making them perfect for anyone who wants to lose weight. That means you can enjoy eating lots of them without fear of exceeding your calorie limits for the day.
We all know that fruits and vegetables are good for us, but not all of us eat them as often as we think we should. Our busy lifestyles and tendency to eat on the run sometimes make it difficult to get 5 servings every day. So, here are some tips to help you get those 5 servings.
Tips for Getting More Servings of Fruits and Veggies:
- Try new varieties. There is such a huge variety of fruits and veggies, there must be some you haven’t eaten in a while, or maybe you’ve never tried them. Look at this as an adventure and choose one new veggie and/or fruit each time you grocery shop. Then search for healthy ways to prepare it if you don’t eat it raw.
- Try substituting spaghetti squash for real spaghetti. It’s not only low in calories, it’s delicious. If you have kids, let them see how the squash becomes “noodles” when it is cooked. They’ll get a real kick out of it.
- Make a big enough bowl of salad that it will last for several days. Eat a salad before eating lunch and dinner with a glass of water and you will eat less.
- Eat roasted veggies. They are super easy to prepare and roasting them really brings out the flavor. All that’s needed to prepare them is a cookie sheet, a little olive oil and some salt and pepper. You can roast just about any vegetable. I even
- cut cabbage in very thin wedges and roast it… delicious.
- Keep raw veggies prepared and ready to eat. Make a healthy ranch flavored yogurt dip to have with them. (Use Greek yogurt and you’ll get a good amount of protein in addition.) Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and snap peas are just a few veggies which are delicious eaten raw with a healthy dip.
- Prepare a fresh fruit bowl of different fruits. If the fruit is prepared ahead of time, it will be super easy to add a bowl to your breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Fruits and veggies can be expensive, but don’t let that deter you from making them your primary sources of food. There are ways to find bargains if you shop for them. Look at fliers distributed by your local grocery stores for produce that is on sale for the week. Another place to get really good deals on fruits and veggies can be at a local farmer’s market. This is my favorite place to buy in season produce.
Follow these tips and it will lead to quicker weight loss, especially if you have a glass of water and salad before eating your lunch and dinner meals. Oh, and there’s nothing that says you can’t do this before breakfast too.